The development of the capacities of leaders to the maximum of their potential is essential in any organization. Therefore, leadership development is a kind of coaching very usual
- 1 Leadership styles
- 2 Objectives of leadership coaching
- 3 Powers of executive tutors
- 4 How can I know if the coach is right?
There are many works on leadership, its styles and techniques. It is important analyze the charisma of each executive, defined as the ability of a leader to exert a wide and intense influence about the beliefs, values, behavior and performance of others.
Charisma and leadership
In general, it is considered that the charisma depends in part on the personality of the leader and that is the result of the need for power. There is evidence to show that charismatic individuals get high scores on intelligence, dominant character, confidence in themselves and knowledge of activities and tasks. However, for the leadership to be satisfactory it is essential that these properties be expressed through the person's behavior, and be aware that different types of tasks require different characteristics of leadership and behavior.
Although not all experts agree on the existence of a clear distinction between managers and leaders, the truth is that there are still certain differences between the traditional manager and the manager or executive as leader.
Coaching for leadership focuses on making it possible for leaders to recognize their strengths and weaknesses in all fields, and to develop new leadership techniques, while allowing them to take effective action. Leadership capabilities only have a real impact on individuals and organizations when translated into actions.
Regarding the types of leadership, we can consider three:
- Transactional leadership It is based on rewarding employees only if they do their job properly or try hard enough.
- Non-transactional leadership It tends to avoid controversy over issues, is non-interventionist and tends to resist taking a stand on important issues. It is the least effective form of leadership.
- The transformative leadership It is related to the charism it transmits. The transforming leader inspires freedom and creative thinking, and always treats the individual on his own merits, and tries to develop the person's techniques and abilities.
Objectives of leadership coaching
The objective of coaching is to develop and strengthen transformative leadership techniques. The qualities of a transforming leader are the following:
- Flexibility or ability to adapt the management style to a situation or individual.
- Ability to inspire commitment.
- Ability to deal with conflicts effectively, without suppressing, ignoring or denying their manifestations.
- Good leaders foster responsibility.
- Ability to create structures and mechanisms that inspire and encourage the desired actions and results, which can range from hiring the right person for a particular job to restructure a department or business unit.
- Charisma and power to influence and persuade others, is special about change.
- Interpersonal techniques Self-knowledge or ability to establish mutually productive interactions.
- Ability to help an organization develop techniques and knowledge that allow it to introduce changes and adapt to them.
It may interest you: Are leaders born or made
Powers of executive tutors
We analyze some competencies of the executive coach that are necessary to guide those who work in this field:
1. Understanding the organizational imperative
Regardless of whether executive tutors work with an individual or a group of individuals in an organization, they need to be integrated within it, and to get it must understand culture, philosophy and organizational requirements for success.
It is quite useful for the coach to have knowledge of the business world and its demands. This knowledge includes:
- The challenges facing the organization and the division for which the executive is responsible.
- The stage of development of the organization.
- Performance techniques.
- The techniques and behaviors necessary for the success of the executive.
2. Senior management
Executives are successful and ambitious individuals who are not usually accustomed to challenges and criticism. In reality, your success can be an obstacle to change. In this sense, the tutor must feel confident enough to face the defensive attitude or resistance to change by the executive.
3. Political insight
In companies there are always policies that the tutor has to face. An effective tutor is a politically non-influential individual, although aware of the inevitable political maneuvers in any organization.
The coaching process may suffer if there is a disagreement or a conflict between the management about its introduction. Hence, it is the responsibility of the tutor to educate all members of the management regarding the processes and benefits of coaching. Coaching works best in the framework of a coaching culture when it is incorporated into other development programs.
4. Concentration on the client
An effective coach is aware of the needs of customers, both inside and outside the organization. The tutor acts as an active resource exploring, building and maximizing the full potential of the individual. To achieve this, it is essential to understand the relationships of the pupils with their clients, as well as their demands and expectations. Among the competencies necessary for the creation and maintenance of the concentration in the client, the following are included:
- Have a good customer management technique.
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels, both inside and outside the company.
- Be aware of the expectations of internal and external customers.
How can I know if the coach is right?
As in sports, where there are specialized team coaches, there are also executive coaches.
In all life disciplines there are specialized people, and the same happens in coaching. For each type of coaching, there is a coach with specific skills and experience, capable of providing the necessary guidance to help each individual and the organization as a whole to fulfill their objectives and mission.
Once a source of potential tutors is located, it is important to remember that coaching is a relationship, a two-way interaction whose success depends largely on the adaptation between the tutor and the ward. Also, with the increasing popularity that coaching is experiencing year after year, there are countless self-taught coaches who are attracted to this profession, although, unfortunately, they lack the necessary training and experience. A potential customer should also investigate the experience of the coach in the executive field. Therefore we must ask ourselves:
- What is the coach's experience in your specific sector?
- What is the experience of the coach at the level of intervention required?
- What is the coach's experience in different types of coaching?
Do not miss: 7 leadership styles and when to use themRelated tests
- Personality test
- Self-esteem test
- Couple Compatibility Test
- Self-knowledge test
- Friendship test
- Am i in love